New York dermatologist has solutions for all types of scarsMost people would rather forget the situation that caused their scars – a troubled teenage complexion, surgery, or injury – than see evidence each time they pass a mirror. Only a highly-qualified dermatology practice is equipped to treat most types of scars. Dr. Ariel Ostad is the dermatologist New Yorkers turn to for scar revisions.
What causes a scar?When skin is injured, the body produces extra collagen in the area. This meshwork of protein fibers collects to draw the wound together, allowing it to heal and protecting you from infection. The appearance of a scar depends primarily on size, depth, and location of the wound. Your unique skin type, color, and thickness plays a role, as does age, medications, and overall health.
Types of scars
- Hyperpigmentation – Darker skin color left by mild trauma.
- Atrophic – Depressed, flat, or jagged scarring in upper skin layers.
- Hypertrophic – Raised scars usually the result of infection or injury.
- Keloids – Thick, clustered scars (triggered by over-aggressive collagen production) that exceed the area of tissue damage. Dark skinned races are more prone to keloids.
- Contractures – Burn scars that tighten and leave skin shiny and smooth.
- Stretch marks – Tears within deep skin layers from fast weight gain or loss.
- Acne scars – The most common and troublesome type of scarring, because it is usually on the face and develops early in life. Ice pick scars are large open pores, deep and narrow, generally on cheeks. Boxcars are wider pits, the result of inflammation. Rolling scars, caused by infection, give the skin a wavy appearance.
Personalized approachIn Dr. Ostad's experienced hands, you are assured of care tailored to your skin. He utilizes a variety of time-tested medical treatments, laser therapies, and innovative techniques such as microdermabrasion and microneedling.
It is time to start enjoying a smooth complexion. Call 212-658-0659 to schedule a consultation.
Request An Appointment
"My Botox looks great. I look refreshed and happy and it shows! Dr. Ariel Ostad and the staff were very helpful throughout the procedure. I look forward to my next treatment."
~ Mark. J Thompson
~ Mark. J Thompson