Stretch marks can occur on the skin as a result of rapid growth, such as weight gain, pregnancy, or growth spurts during adolescence. Here are some tips for removing and preventing stretch marks that are often suggested by Dr. Ostad:
1. Prescription Creams. One of the most efficacious ways to remove stretch marks after pregnancy is to use a cream such as Retin-A. The cream favourably affects the skin, making it firmer and tighter as new collagen and elastin replaces old broken proteins.
2. Exercise. It is important to keep your hormone levels in balance. Some of the stress hormones (for instance, cortisol), if elevated, can destabilize your hormone levels. Fortunately, there are effective and natural relaxation techniques to relieve stress that do not cost much or are free, including special relaxation exercises, deep breathing, yoga and meditation.
3. Diet. It is recommended to drink at least six to eight glasses of non-carbonated water a day to keep the body refreshed and clear of toxins. Eating fresh leafy greens can also help in preventing stretch marks.
4. Moisturizing Twice a Day. Your skin should be adequately hydrated with a good moisturizer that contains alpha hydroxy acids, along with vitamins A and which does not include chemicals or paraffin.
5. Fraxel Laser Treatments. CO2 laser creates microscopic thermal zones on the skin, which then play a great role the rejuvenation of the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin) and collagen modification. The fact is that Fraxel re:pair laser is the only one really effective way to treat stretch marks and improve the texture and tone of the skin available today.
Fraxel re:pair laser was approved by the FDA for the following indications:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Stretch marks
- Acne scars
- Superficial scars
- Pigmentation spots
According to Dr. Ostad, Fraxel re:pair treatments usually require three sessions to achieve. In some patients, the results of Fraxel re:pair treatment are very significant and come near to those of invasive, surgical procedures. Using Fraxel ensures a minimal risk of complications and a very short period of recovery. Please contact our New York practice to find out if Fraxel can help you to remove stretch marks once and for all.