What to look for in a NYC dermatologist
There are an estimated 3,538 dermatologists in the northeast region of the United States, which includes NYC. Yet only one of them may be an ideal match for your skin care needs. Here are tips to help you find that practice.
Some dermatologists focus solely on one segment of practice:
- Medical dermatology – Treatment of skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Skin cancer – Prevention, screening, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Cosmetic dermatology – Techniques to refine and rejuvenate skin, ranging from Botox injections to microneedling and platelet rich plasma.
- Energy therapies – Laser, light, ultrasound, radiofrequency, and other technologies for face and body.
- Surgical dermatology – Procedures for cosmetic improvement or medical treatment.
Most people, however, need some combination of these areas of expertise during their lifetime. The dermatologist who provides a full range of services brings familiarity and convenience to the relationship.
Credentials make the difference
In addition to medical school, a dermatologist serves a year as an intern, and three years of clinical residency specific to dermatology. A Board-certified dermatologist has also completed at least a year of specialized fellowship training, and passed rigorous clinical and academic testing. Certification is maintained through continuing education requirements and periodic re-testing. Board-certification is your assurance of the doctor’s commitment to excellence in patient care.
Do you “click?”
Easy rapport with your dermatologist is essential. You should be comfortable talking about appearance concerns, medical problems, lifestyle, and health history. Diagnosis and treatment options must be presented in understandable terms, with plenty of time for your questions. The best way to determine if you can develop this trust and communication is to schedule a consultation with the dermatologist.
You will find these beneficial characteristics and much more in Dr. Ariel Ostad’s care. He is the dermatologist NYC trusts with their skin, appearance, and health. Call 646-798-9494.